Flying was first introduced to Prince Edward Island in 1912, when an aircraft, piloted by 18 year-old pilot Cecil Peoli from New York completed the first powered flight over Prince Edward Island. He landed at the exhibition grounds in the City of Charlottetown. It was not until 1931 that an airport became a reality for Charlottetown. At that time, Dr. J.S. Jenkins, Chief Physician at the Charlottetown Hospital developed a portion of his farm at Upton to be used as an airport. The airport, Upton Field served as the Island’s first and main airport for 10 years. During that time, Louise Jenkins, Dr. Jenkins’s wife trained as a pilot in Quebec and Florida to become the Island’s first woman pilot in 1932.
In 1927 there was an airmail service provided between Moncton, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. Also in 1927, the federal government introduced a plan to assist light aeroplane clubs in Canada. The Prince Edward Flying Club was formed and in May 1929 selected a site that, after investigation by a civil aviation inspector, was recommended for licence, provided the land was acquired by the club. No action was taken on this recommendation since the Club never purchased the land. In April 1930, the Charlottetown Flying Club, which was being organized, asked the Civil Aviation Branch of National Defence to do a survey for an aerodrome in the area. Again there was no action.
In a report on November 24, 1931 the Superintendent of Airways dealing with airport inspections in the Maritime Provinces, had this to say about Charlottetown:
"an aerodrome provided by Dr. J.S. Jenkins is part of his farm, two miles north of the City: Province and City to provide machinery and Dr. Jenkins to pay the cost of labour; it will be an excellent aerodrome; Canadian Airways will use it for daily service between Charlottetown and Moncton; Mr. Jenkins is a pilot; he is taking instruction and may buy an aircraft."